On Gas Masks

So protester body armor is fine and all, but it does jack-all for CS/NS gas, which seems very popular amongst fascist police these days.

I've also seen many reports where they are purposefully performing headshots with less than lethal munitions.

Tim Dickinson's tweet - "As @tuckwoodstock highlights, the occupying feds in Portland appear to ...  Tim Dickinson's tweet - "As @tuckwoodstock highlights, the occupying feds in Portland appear to ...

Protester hit in face by police rubber bullet wants answers | The Seattle Times  Boy, 16, shot in face by police during protest loses both eyes | Metro News

Chesbro on Security: Man Shot in Head With Flashbang Grenade - Portland, Oregon 8-4-2018

You get the idea.

So I needed something for myself and my partner because she's determined to go to any protest that happens near us.

So I've been doing research on what a good mask is that will protect from CS/NS gas, but also be ballistic-resistant.

I settled on this mask.


It's rated for impact-resistance, and so I decided to give it a shot.  It arrived and seemed to fit well and created a good seal despite some whiskers that could prevent that otherwise.  The face shield had good visibility and seemed rigid enough to take a strike.

It came with brown "LDY3"/"P-A-1" class of filters, which made me wonder if they were going to be effective for protection against CS/CN gas.

I found this guide online that helps make sense of the codes these filters come in.

I've also googled a bit and discovered that it seems it's very difficult to get CS/CN rated filters - they seem to be a special version of the LDY7/P-E-1 filters (yellow) with an extra filter (purple).  What little I've found shows them to be incredibly expensive, and also purchase-restricted to law enforcement - they treat them like munitions.


This model of course doesn't fit this mask, but you get the idea.  As a result, I've purchased LDY7/P-E-1 filters for my mask in the hope they're good enough.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Project Start: Protester Body Armor

The Tolerance Paradox